[sane-devel] ADF Duplex performance problems

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Mon May 3 10:20:50 UTC 2010

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Ilmārs Poikāns <ilmars at delibero.lv>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running latest SANE from git source on Ubuntu 9.10. I was testing
>> scaning A4 on Fujitsu ScanSnap 500 in 300 dpi Color uncompressed using
>> scanadf. Everything is fine when scanning only one side of sheet (image
>> size
>> 24MB). But when scanning with "ADF Duplex" as source, scanner pauses 3
>> times
>> during scanning. Two 24MB files are saved successfully. Clearly pausing
>> is
>> caused by data transfer issues somewhere.
>
> Does this happen on windows?
>
>> Any ideas where could be the
>> bottleneck? Scanner can't send data so fast over USB?
>
> Almost certainly.
>
>> Buffer too small for
>> USB transfers, so too many data exchange transactions creates delay and
>> slowdown of throughput?
>
> You can try increasing the buffer-size option in /etc/sane.d/fujitsu.conf.

The config states:
# to set data buffer size, in bytes
# the value ranges from 4096 - infinity
# but you may have scanning problems with
# a value larger than 65536 (the default)
option buffer-size 65536

I'm just wondering what kind of scanning problem may I have with bigger
buffer-size? Does it still apply to version 1.0.21?

Simon