[sane-devel] sane.h and commented out definitions for next version SANE

Ilmārs Poikāns ilmars at delibero.lv
Sun May 9 20:59:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

> At this point, I dont think we want to enshrine anything as being part
> of SANE2.

I didn't ment exactly SANE2, just next version, if there will be any.

Both #ifdef 0 in sane.h comments out code because "following are for
later sane version, older frontends wont support" and "these are to be
exposed in a later version of SANE". I didn't get it, why enabling
this code with one define flag (SANE_<something>) doesn't make your
code look nicer?  Wouldn't that make updating backends and frontends
for new version changes easier - make with and without flag, test it,
ship it? Anyway I'm new here, so I don't see things you see :)

> The proper fix is to either remove that code, or stop
> shipping sane-frontends altogether.

Please, find patch in attachment, that adds ifdefs in sane-frontends,
so undefined SANE_STATUS_WARMING_UP (currently commented out in
sane.h) doesn't break compilation of frontends. Only thing that is
left - configure needs to be updated too, so it doesn't require
sane-backends version >= 1.1.0. With this patch sane-frontends
compiles with current sane-backends. I was able to scan with scanadf
and xsane as usual. I guess backends doesn't return STATUS WARMING_UP
or  blocks on sane_init, if it isn't defined?

Best regards,
Ilmars Poikans