[sane-devel] segfault in sane_net_get_devicesconnecting to network saned

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue May 11 12:30:11 UTC 2010

Julien BLACHE <jb <at> jblache.org> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

> That's what you get for using a proprietary backend that isn't properly
> integrated in the system (udev/consolekit).

So, is this just comment on the permissions issue or the the segfault -- which
is the original point of this report/thread?

> Though Ubuntu could do a better job when it comes to SANE, they're not
> really at fault for this one.

Well, there is something, which I have yet to go dig up and apply that fixes the
issue, so yes, there is something more that Ubuntu can do.

And you don't need to preach to me about binary drivers.  I know all about it
and in fact did a round or two with somebody on the open-printing list about
warning others about the evilness of the support for this printer.  To my
chagrin they were entirely forgiving about it, being thankful that Brother
supplied at least binary drivers.  :-(

But the bottom line is that this printer was a gift from a well-meaning Mom who
doesn't know (and who I wouldn't expect to know) about the politics of hardware,
software and open standards, so I can either have it doing nothing more than
holding down paper or I can try to work within the boundaries set by my well-
meaning Mom.

Ultimately, xsane works with the binary driver and saned doesn't.  To me
(admittedly, an outsider) at least, it sounds like saned is doing and/or
expecting something that xsane isn't and if we could determine what that
difference in handling is, we could fix a segfault in saned.

Put another way, perhaps the segfault is in the binary driver.  That will be
unfortunate if it is.  But perhaps it's in saned/libsane, in which case there is
a bug in saned/libsane (a segfault is undeniably a bug).  But even if the
segfault is in the binary driver, we can't deny that the binary driver works
with xsane, so saned/libsane might be able to avoid tickling whatever bug is in
it.

Thots?

b.