[sane-devel] Support for Canon MX870 ??

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Tue May 11 12:40:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Kluge, Norbert
<norbert.kluge at bsi.bund.de> wrote:
> help needed.
> Can I use the driver sane pixma.5 for the scanner Canon MX870 ?

Dear Norbert,
  Great of you to ask! The MX870 is not yet in the supported scanner
list, but if you would like to volunteer to test it, I will be more
than happy to help you get it working.

I am not sure what the "pixma.5" refers to (man page?) but you should
make sure that you are using the latest SANE release 1.0.21, which
unfortunately is not yet part of any distributions as far as I know
(was released April 25th). So you may have to get it from the SANE
website.

Then before compiling and installing we need to add the MX870 USB ID
to the pixma backend and see what happens: if it works fine problem
solved :-) If not (as seems likely, some tweaking may be needed)
Windows USB snoops will be most helpful.

Please let me know if you need help (for adding the ID we have to
choose a "generation also").
Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug