[sane-devel] segfault in sane_net_get_devicesconnectingto network saned

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 20:40:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> m. allan noah <kitno455 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Nope. That is brother's problem. They don't support us, we don't
>> support them. :)
>
> Seriously?  Just because Brother provide a binary only driver, you won't list
> their USB id's in the libsane udev rules (so that the USB device will get a
> working set of permissions)?  Who loses out of that?  The poor users, that's
> who.
>
> I agree it's a shame that Brother feel a need to provide binary only drivers,
> but should the users be the ones to suffer for all of this?
>
> What harm is there in just ensuring your list of USB ids for scanners,
> regardless of whether their drivers are binary or not is complete?

Please register for an account on alioth, and I will give you git
commit perms to maintain the brother.desc files. You will also want to
go thru the archives of this mailing list and find prior reports which
we have ignored, and stay subscribed to the list so that you may
continue to keep the file up to date based on user feedback in the
future. You might even consider downloading the brother drivers
(windows or linux) and attempt to extract the list of supported usb
ids. Sound like fun?

allan