[sane-devel] Pixma height constraint for ADF

Zeev Lieber zeev.lieber at gmail.com
Thu May 13 12:46:23 UTC 2010

I just tried the git version of SANE with my new Canon imageCLASS
MF4350d. Everything works fine, except for one thing: I cannot scan
legal-size documents via the ADF.

Running scanimage -h showed that the "y" parameter is bound by the
value of 297mm (A4), which is correct for flatbed, but not for the
ADF.

So I quickly hacked pixma_imageclass.c replacing the height
constraints (1052 instead of 877 for Legal), and also
pixma_sane_options.c to force the default back to 297mm. This did the
trick for me, but clearly is not a good solution in general, and
doesn't work with xsane (only command line). Also,
pixma_sane_options.c seems to be auto-generated, but I couldn't find
the script that generated it, so I just did my changes in the .c file
itself.

I'm not familiar with the architecture enough to suggest what a good
solution would be. Is there a nice way to support different
constraints for different document sources? Or maybe just disable the
checking of height constraint for ADF altogether? If you tell me what
it is, and it's not too complicated I could contribute a patch for
this.

Thanks
Zeev