[sane-devel] Scan server = saned + xinetd?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Sun May 16 23:39:17 UTC 2010

Grant さんは書きました:

>>> I've had a scan server set up for a while which uses saned via xinetd.
>>>  Is there a simpler way to set up a scan server with fewer permissions
>>> to grant?  The configuration seems a lot more complex than my printer
>>> server which has only cupsd.conf config on the server and client.conf
>>> config on the client.
>> That's partly because the CUPS daemon is running independently and
>> continuously.  With a xinetd + saned setup, xinetd is listening for
>> requests and starts saned every time it gets a request on port 6566.
>>
>> You could try a setup where you have saned running independently, just
>> like cupsd, without xinetd.
>
> I use Gentoo and they don't have a saned initscript in /etc/init.d for
> some reason.

Because normally you don't want to have saned running all the time.  It
shouldn't be too hard to write one based on an existing init.d script.

>> Note that with saned your scan server still communicates with a local
>> USB device.  That is, saned is the scan server's SANE frontend of
>> choice.  The client then uses the SANE net backend (via the client's
>> SANE frontend of choice) to talk to the server.
>>
>>> I noticed that /etc/sane.d/* has network ability, but that's for
>>> communicating with a network scanner directly, right?
>> Depends on what * stands for ;-)
>
> How about /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf and /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf?

epkowa.conf contains fairly extensive documentation on the use of its
'net' keyword.  This is used to setup network scanners (w/o the use of a
scan server), that is, a direct network connection.

The epson2.conf seems to follow a similar approach and seems to support
automatic discovery of network scanners.  I'm not familiar with the
epson2 backend's internals, though.

>>> I tried to set up network scanning with epkowa and my Epson Artisan
>>> 710 but I couldn't get it to work, I think because I don't know which
>>> port to define on the scanner's IP.  Does anyone have any suggestions
>>> for that?
>> First of all, you need the (binary-only, non-free) iscan-network-nt
>> package installed.  Second, you need to follow the instructions in
>> /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf WRT configuring a network scanner.  There is no
>> need to specify a port number, the default (1865) should do.  Follow the
>> instructions in the product manual to determine/assign the IP address of
>> the device.
>
> Is iscan-network-nt available for free?  I had assumed
> iscan-network-nt was included in Gentoo's iscan package but I must
> have been wrong.  Does anbody here know if there is an ebuild
> available?  If not, I'll file a bug with Gentoo.

Free of charge?  Yes.
Free-as-in-freedom?  No.

AVASYS Corporation does not bundle the non-free (as in freedom)
extensions for the epkowa backend with Image Scan! for Linux.

>> Note that with this setup your SANE frontend of choice communicates with
>> the device via the epkowa backend over a network connection.  Neither
>> saned nor the SANE net backend are involved.
>>
>> If that still does not make things work, your client machine's network
>> setup (or a router somewhere on the way to the device) may be blocking
>> the network traffic.  Darned firewalls.
>> Another reason we are aware of is the epson2 backend getting in the way.
>>  Disabling that in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf may help.
>>
>> FWIW, the epson2 backend may also support the device's network interface
>> but that will not work with Image Scan! for Linux.  As Alesh pointed out
>> earlier, iscan only caters to the epkowa backend.
>
> Could the epson2 backend work via "net" even though the Artisan 710 is
> listed as unsupported on the SANE website?

You'd have to ask the epson2 backend maintainer.  Alessandro?

Hope this helps,
- --
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962