[sane-devel] scanimage works, xsane does not

Darren Goossens goossens at rsc.anu.edu.au
Mon May 17 06:22:32 UTC 2010

Hi,  Sorry if I am not very knowledgeable;

I installed scanimage and sane on a Mac running 10.6 and it works from command line. (http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/)

But xsane, which I installed from MacPorts, which took many hours of compiling things, does not find any devices, even though I can scan and view images using the command line.  ImageCapture on the mac works as well (ie it finds the scanner).  So I am pretty sure the problem must be with xsane.

Here is some output

edr:~ goossens$ sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x220e [CanoScan], chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:003:004-04a9-220e-ff-00
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.
edr:~ goossens$ scanimage -L
device `plustek:libusb:003:004-04a9-220e-ff-00' is a Canon CanoScan N1240U/LiDE30 flatbed scanner