[sane-devel] Epson Artisan 710 support

Alesh Slovak alesh.slovak at avasys.jp
Tue May 18 00:47:09 UTC 2010

On 05/18/2010 05:51 AM, Grant wrote:
> Thanks Alesh.  I previously owned an Artisan 700 and it developed the
> same problem partway through the time I owned it.  I remember
> upgrading the epkowa backend a couple times, so the problem may have
> been introduced by one of the upgrades.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at older versions of iscan as well then.
 From what you say it may actually be easier to track this problem down by using
the Artisan 700 instead of the 710.

> Do you know which version of the epkowa backend was the first to
> support the 710?  Gentoo's package tree has 2.11.0 and 2.21.0.  2.21.0
> exhibits the problem, but 2.11.0 doesn't seem to support the 710.  I'd
> like to try the first version that supported the 710.

Actually, the first version to support the 710 is 2.21.0. This information can
be gleaned from the NEWS file.

"Support", for the most part, usually just means we added the device name to the
driver and tested it. Sometimes there are "special" devices that require a
little bit of extra work, but for the most part the devices are well behaved and
should actually work with almost any version of iscan/epkowa. All you would need
to do to use your Artisan 710 with an older version of iscan/epkowa is to add
the USB id to the /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf file. Your mileage may vary.

Happy scanning,
--
Alesh Slovak                    Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
alesh.slovak at avasys.jp          http://avasys.jp