[sane-devel] Canoscan 8800F]

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Tue May 18 22:10:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Kurt Rosenfeld
<hardware at ee.ccny.cuny.edu> wrote:
> Here is some good news.  I tried Backends 1.0.21 on a FreeBSD 9
> machine and it works.  Here is the stderr output:

Well, interesting. Of course you need 1.0.21, since the scanner was
not supported in 1.0.20. However, it surprised me that the pixma
driver recognized the scanner since 1.0.20 would not have registered
the 8800F at all.

> http://acm.poly.edu/~kurt/scanimage_freebsd_all255.txt
>
> This is the first time I tried it on a FreeBSD 9 machine.
> I tried it before on another older FreeBSD 7 machine and it
> seemed to fail in the same way as I have been seeing with
> Linux.  In both cases a little bit of dirty stuff was needed
> to get it to compile since the current version of SANE Backends
> in the FreeBSD ports tree is 1.0.20, which does not support the
> Canon 8800F.  The maintainer of the port recently submitted a
> patch (awaiting commit) that, among other things, updates the
> port to use 1.0.21.  Today I manually applied that patch to my
> ports tree and built sane-backends on the FreeBSD 9 box here in
> the lab.  What next?  -kurt

You could install 1.0.21 from source?

Gernot