[sane-devel] X74 a few more questions

stef stef.dev at free.fr
Sun Nov 14 20:27:31 UTC 2010

Le Thursday 11 November 2010 15:54:33 Torsten Houwaart, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
>
> My Lexmark X74 is working nicely now. I can scan at 75, 150, 300 and 600
> dpi, gray or color.
>
> So now I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Different home dot.
> My X74 has a home dot that is double as wide as for the models that are
> already in the lexmark backend. For the other models the home dot is
> around 23 bytes at 300 dpi, for my model the width is 100 bytes at 300 dpi
> or 1/3''. In the lexmark_low.c there is already this comment:
> /*
>  * all these defines may be move in device specific constant in per model
>  * struct if we need it
>  */
> Where should i put this information? Maybe in the Lexmark_Sensor or
> Lexmark_Motor class? Or just a struct in lexmark_low.c ?
>
> 2. Different start line.
> From the home dot of the X74 there is a distance of ca. 1/3'' to the actual
> scanning area. Quite frankly I find it a bit weird that the other Lexmark
> models seem to not have this. So I will put a X74 specific move_fwd before
> the actual scan. I will also put this distance in the rewind command. Is
> that ok?
>
> 3. How to commit.
> Where should I send my code to? Just attach to an email to this mailing
> list? What should I send? The different files or a diff file?
>
> best regards,
> Torsten Houwaart

	1. You can add a field in Lexmark_Model for these specific information,
or you may create a new struct like you propose.

	2. You could add this distance to the new struct/fields so you don't have
to duplicate the function. Such differences in  the internals of similar
scanners is the most common case.

	3. About the commit, you can send a patch to the list. Generating it with
'git format-patch' would be perfect. Since you have a lexmark scanner (I don't
have one anymore) and are working on the lexmark backend, it would be great if
you could step as it's maintainer. It would require to get a login on alioth
and be granting access rights to the git tree.

Regards,
	Stef