[sane-devel] Epson "Expression 10000XL" ADF support by epson2

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Nov 22 00:20:08 UTC 2010

On 2010-11-19 19:21, Olivier Jolit wrote:
>>> I need to use the ADF of the Epson Expression 10000XL (backend
>>> epson2), but cant get it to work properly. The ADF always tries
>>> to take the next sheet on the stack when scaning a sheet.
>>
>> Have you tried the epkowa backend (part of Image Scan! for Linux)?
>> The latest release, announced here just today contains several ADF
>> related fixes.
>>
> Thank you for your advice, unfortunately I cant get epkowa to detect
> my scanner, even when specifying "usb 0x04b8 0x0129 #Epson 10000XL"
> in epkowa.conf (values coming from lsusb)

That should force detection of the Expression 10000XL as a supported
device (but should not be necessary).

> I get the following run:
>> SANE_DEBUG_DLL=127 SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=127 scanimage -L

You want to use SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=HEX instead.  I see we need to update
our sane-epkowa manual page ...

>  [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of dll to 127.
>  [dll] sane_init: SANE dll backend version 1.0.12 from sane-backends 1.0.21
>  [dll] sane_init/read_dlld: processing /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.d ...

OK, looks like your SANE setup was built from source.  This may cause
trouble when you also have your distribution's SANE packages installed.

>  [dll] sane_init/read_dlld: done.
>  [dll] sane_init/read_config: reading dll.conf
>  [dll] add_backend: adding backend `epkowa'
>  [dll] sane_get_devices
>  [dll] load: searching backend `epkowa' in `/usr/local/lib/sane'
>  [dll] load: trying to load `/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1'
>  [dll] load: dlopen()ing `/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1'
>  [dll] init: initializing backend `epkowa'
>  [dll] init: backend `epkowa' is version 1.0.212
>  [dll] sane_get_devices: found 0 devices
>  No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
>  check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
>  sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
>  which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>  [dll] sane_exit: exiting
>  [dll] sane_exit: calling backend `epkowa's exit function
>  [dll] sane_exit: finished

> So my scanner isn't detected (and it is when i comment epkowa in
> dll.conf and uncomment epson2). By the way, SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA doesnt
> seem to be effective, even if epkowa is loaded (although
> SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2 works, so maybe libepkowa was build without debug
> support).

See comment above.  You want to use SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=HEX instead.

> I couldnt find where to download the latest epkowa release you were
> speaking about, is it in the git repo? Currently I have sane-backends
> 1.0.21 which seems to me to be the latest available binary) and I'm
> using the epkowa library "libsane-epkowa.so.1.0.15".

The epkowa backend is an external backend.  It is not part of
sane-backends.  You can find the sources via:

  http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/

as mentioned in the release announcement I sent to the sane-devel list.
Have a look at the FAQ below to understand what you need.

  http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/faq/id000651.php

If you're compiling from source you need both the iscan and iscan-data
source tarballs.

> I also tried directly :
> sudo scanimage -d epkowa
> scanimage: open of device epkowa failed: Access to resource has been denied

You would need to say something like

  scanimage -d epkowa:usb:04b8:0129

but that would have been listed by scanimage -L to begin with.

> So not working either, is there another way to check if epkowa
> supports this particular device ?

The epkowa backend supports this particular device.

>>> Besides, "eject" options and "auto-eject=on" don't work with this
>>> scanner, maybe it is linked I don't know...
>>
>> It this also the case with the epkowa backend?
> Well, don't know yet :)

Hope this helps,
- --
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=196