[sane-devel] Scanner missing

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Oct 14 07:34:48 UTC 2010

On Oct 13 11:10 Mark wrote (shortened):
> I run CentOS 5.5 on my home desktop:
> A while back I bought a new HP J3600 scan/fax/copy/print-er and
> connected it to my system.  At first it was visible to the root but
> not me as an ordinary user.  I had no trouble configuring it as a
> printer, but the scanner was invisible to xsane until I added my user
> id to the lp group.
> Now it's gone again, except that it is visible as a usb device to me
> as a normal user, but xsane can't seem to find it any more.  Can
> anyone hazard a guess at what's wrong?

If "scanimage -L" doesn't show it, inspect whether or not the
SANE backends (i.e. the drivers) for your models are activated in
a file like /etc/sane.d/dll.conf (might be elsewhere on CentOS).

For HP all-in-one devices which use HP's own free software HPLIP
(see http://hplipopensource.com) the SANE backend is "hpaio".

For HP flatbed scanners there are some other backends
provided the model is supported by SANE, see

Even if you use CentOS, the following articles for openSUSE might
also be of interest for you because in general SANE should work
the same regardless of a particular Linux distribution:

in particular the sections about "USB scanner access permissions
via udev" and "Trouble-Shooting (Debugging)"

in particular in the "Troubleshooting" section:
In general if things do not work, use "hp-check -r"
in a terminal to track the issue.

In particular regarding HPLIP see also

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner