[sane-devel] Scanner missing

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 09:04:57 UTC 2010

:

> If "scanimage -L" doesn't show it, inspect whether or not the
> SANE backends (i.e. the drivers) for your models are activated in
> a file like /etc/sane.d/dll.conf (might be elsewhere on CentOS).

$ scanimage -L
device `niash:libusb:002:004' is a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300C flatbed scanner

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0781:5506 SanDisk Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 03f0:3112 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04f9:0033 Brother Industries, Ltd
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 03f0:0205 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300c

]$ grep hp /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
hp
hpsj5s
hp3500
hp4200
hp5400
# HP OfficeJet backend homepage: http://hpoj.sf.net/
# Uncomment the following line if hpoj is installed:
#hpoj
hpaio

> For HP all-in-one devices which use HP's own free software HPLIP
> (see http://hplipopensource.com) the SANE backend is "hpaio".

See above.

> For HP flatbed scanners there are some other backends
> provided the model is supported by SANE, see
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-HEWLETT-PACKARD

It's an all-in-one....

> Even if you use CentOS, the following articles for openSUSE might
> also be of interest for you because in general SANE should work
> the same regardless of a particular Linux distribution:
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners
> in particular the sections about "USB scanner access permissions
> via udev" and "Trouble-Shooting (Debugging)"

I played with this a little - no change in results.

> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_set-up_a_HP_printer
> in particular in the "Troubleshooting" section:
That's not a problem.  The printer works.

> In general if things do not work, use "hp-check -r"
> in a terminal to track the issue.

This complains about PyQt not being there and that my SJ 3300C is not
recognized, but that one works just fine and the OJ3600 just doesn't
show up as a scanner (it shows up as a printer and a fax).

> In particular regarding HPLIP see also
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html

I have hplip 3.10.6 installed.

What bugs me is that this was working perfectly last week and now it's
like the scanner is invisible again, except that now even root can't
see it even though it shows up in lsusb.

Stumped.