[sane-devel] Trouble with HP Officejet j4680

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 15:33:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:
>> I'm using Arch Linux with the HP Officejet j4680 multifunction
>> printer. sane-find-scanner returns "found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0
>> [HP], product=0x2c12 [Officejet J4680 series]) at libusb:001:003" as
>> it should, but scanimage -L produces only the line "device
>> `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname USB 2.0 Camera virtual device",
>> indicating my webcam. How can I remedy this problem?
>> Alex Hudson
>
> Just a wild guess, if your scanner is supported by the hplip stuff then
> you need to install it. scanimage -L may find the scanner but sane alone
> without the hplip stuff can not make use of the scanner.

Very close- just one correction: sane-find-scanner lists all the
devices attached to the system which might be a scanner, including
ones which are not supported by sane, and ones that are supported but
drivers are not installed.

scanimage -L on the other hand, will list only those scanners which
are detected by the installed backends.

However, the basic advice is correct- I bet you don't have the hplip
software installed.

allan