[sane-devel] SNMP detection of network scanners?

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Mon Sep 13 14:22:20 UTC 2010

For magicolor devices, KONICA MINOLTA provides SNMP functionality to detect
the scanner (existence, model, etc.) and also some of its capabilities. Is
there any SNMP framework provided by sane that can/should be used, or is it
completely up to me to implement the SNMP conversation?

I couldn't see anything SNMP-related in the default backends, so how would you
suggest to implement SNMP? libsnmp or manually implementing SNMP from scratch
(as cups seems to do)?

Cheers,
Reinhold

PS: The backend for the magicolor 1690mf (and as Ilia Sotnikov noticed
probably also some bizhub devices) is progressing nicely. Currently, I'm
already at a stage where the scanning is started and the data is received by
the backend. Of course, there are still some things where I don't know the
exact purpose of command arguments, but the most important stuff is decoded
and implemented. If you are interested, the current state can be found a git
repository at repo.or.cz:
http://repo.or.cz/w/sane-backend-magicolor.git

WARNING: This is very much work in progress, so it will probably not work for
you yet, and it might even lock up your device right now! Try it entirely on
your own risk!