[sane-devel] NO scanner is now recognized. :(

Mr Fair Go mrfairgo at mrfairgo.com
Mon Sep 27 05:07:04 UTC 2010

 >> I compiled and installed the latest sane-backends-1.0.21 and tried to
>> use it with a Canon DR-2010C scanner,

G'day!

I have a Canon  MX310 which was scanning OK, but only in colour.  There was
some sort of bug in Greyscale and B&W.  I attempted to "compile and install"
the newer sane backends also, but as a newbie I clearly did something wrong,
because now none of my Linux scanning software will find the Canon or any
other scanner (I have 3).  I even uninstalled and reinstalled SANE and
gscan2pdf via the Package Manager, but still "

Can someone point me to a *very basic* Linux how-to that explains for a
newbie exactly how to "compile and install" with Linux?  Everything I look
at assumes I have more knowledge about "compiling" than I actually have.

Running LinuxMint 9 (Isadora) which is built on Ubuntu, for nearly a year
now.  Up to this point upgrading and installing packages via Package Manager
has been adequate for my needs, but the newer version is not available this
way, thus I attempted the more challenging route, but can not find
"instructions" anywhere.

Thanks

Mr Fair Go

(They call me "Mr Fair Go")
http://mrfairgo.com
fairgohomes.com.au -->a Fair Go for aspiring homeowners, sellers, investors,
renovators.
fairgocom.net.au -->a Fair Go for Getting Your Life & Privacy Back!
eservers.com.au -->Professional Internet Hosting