[sane-devel] Using SANE to bring "old" scanners to life under Windows 7

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 17:39:19 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I've been trying to look around and understand the current status of SANE
for Windows systems, and whether I could use it in some form on a Windows 7
system.

I gather the Win32 port of XSane will not run on Win7, and no longer
includes back ends for local scanners, although this has been included in
the past, which is promising. SaneTwain [http://sanetwain.ozuzo.net/] also
focuses on network access rather than local scanners.

More specifically, I have an "old" scanner - an HP ScanJet 4300C - for which
HP have decided not to produce Windows Vista or Windows 7 drivers; SANE,
however, appears to include a back-end which supports this scanner. There
are lots of HP scanners that fall into this category, and it would be great
if a port of SANE could keep them alive, rather than everyone throwing them
away when PCs are upgraded beyond Windows XP.

So, my aim: to plug in my "out-dated" HP scanner to the USB port on a
Windows 7 PC, run some kind of GUI, and scan a page (I'm not fussed whether
it bridges to TWAIN, or just saves to disk, or whatever).

Is this possible? Where would I start? I'm willing to do a bit of work to
get this running, but don't have a lot of experience with the low-level
technologies involved, so would welcome any advice, even if it's "you
haven't a hope in hell". ;)

Thanks in advance!
--
Rowan Collins