[sane-devel] Using SANE to bring "old" scanners to life under Windows 7

Adrian Glaubitz glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 3 17:56:48 UTC 2011

Hi Rowan,

On Apr 3, 2011, at 7:39 PM, Rowan Collins wrote:

> Is this possible? Where would I start? I'm willing to do a bit of work to get this running, but don't have a lot of experience with the low-level technologies involved, so would welcome any advice, even if it's "you haven't a hope in hell". ;)

I think a good starting point would be to install CygWin [1] on your Windows machine. This will give you the
necessary environment which you can use to build SANE on Windows. You might also use MinGW which
will give you a leaner and more portable binary, but it might be harder to get it compiled, especially
when it comes to building the dependencies.

On the other hand, you will also need libusb for Windows [2] upon which SANE builds on. Unless CygWin
ships with libusb, you will need to download and build it separately. To find out what dependencies are
necessary for SANE, you should either consult the SANE documentation or just check the dependencies
of the SANE packages as they are listed in the Debian package directories [3].

Adrian

[1] http://www.cygwin.com/
[2] http://www.libusb.org/
[3] http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages