[sane-devel] Canon PIXMA MG5200

Daniel Wyatt Daniel.Wyatt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 21:40:19 UTC 2011

Hi all.
I recently bought a Canon PIXMA MG5220.
I was able to get it working by adding the device to pixma_mp150.c.
I'm using it over the network (bjnp).

I would really like to get the button scanning to work.
With the Windows driver I can select my scan settings on the LCD and hit
either the "black" or "color" button to scan it.
There is a specific utility that enables this called the "Canon IJ
Network Scan Utility" (CNMSUT.exe).
It would be nice to have this functionality on linux.

Also, I can set the "Scan size" (on the LCD) to "Auto crop" and it will
automatically crop the scanned image.
I see no way of doing this on linux.
I don't know if this is done via software on the PC or if the scanner
crops it before it sends it.
Either way, I'd really like to have this feature available on linux.

I can provide packet captures, photos of the LCD screen options, etc, etc.

To summarize, I'm looking to help add support for:
1) Scanning via the scanner's LCD screen (I think this does work for
some other models but doesn't seem to for this one)
2) Auto crop - I'd like to determine whether this is done on the scanner
or via PC software. If it's done on the scanner, I'd love to have this
available on linux.