[sane-devel] sane backend build system - help

Paul Newall p.newalls at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 24 15:17:59 UTC 2011

I want to write a new backend.
Currently the main obstacle is that I find the backend build system very intimidating.
I have no experience of autoconf, automake, or libtool.
On my system (ubuntu 10.10) I can run autoreconf and ./configure apparently OK, but when I run make I get these errors:

libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.2.10, but the
libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.2.6b.
libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.2.10
libtool: and run autoconf again.
make[2]: *** [libsane_la-dll-s.lo] Error 63

How would I recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.2.10 ? I don't have much idea what that means.

Is it best to start by adding an empty new backend to the build system? (in which case I will need to get the build system to work first)
Or would it be better to make and install  the new backend independently during development? (this might be easier? and it might give me a faster modify, build, test cycle during development? But are there difficulties that I have not discovered yet?)