[sane-devel] Best supported, affordable scanner?

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Fri Aug 26 19:49:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Yury Tarasievich
<yury.tarasievich at gmail.com> wrote:
> The early GL84* based Plusteks (ST28 etc.)?
>
> And you need experts for implementing the mechanical systems' control.
> Me, I've tried to DIY the support for the ST28 but succeeded only in nearly
> busting the motor.
>
> -Yury

I realize this but my comment was in the context of the OP's question
to purchase a new scanner, and the comment holds true for most popular
brands, and even with more complex ADF scanners.

Hopefully, he won't go and buy the least supported scanners but be
wise enough to first understand what feature set he needs, look at his
local market, and _then_ publish a short lit here so we can recommend
his best option with Sane.

Curiously, my first scanner with Sane circa 1998-99 was a Plustek
OpticPro 9636P+  I clearly remember that scanner because it needed a
very costly double male db-25 that I think cost me more than the
scanner itself. Anyway, it worked perfectly back then with the *very
early* Plustek driver.

--
Alejandro