[sane-devel] Ubuntu 11.10 : Support for Umax Astra 4100 via

Stef stef.dev at free.fr
Tue Dec 6 20:25:24 UTC 2011

Le lundi 5 décembre 2011 16:19:16 vous avez écrit :
> Hello Stef,
>
> I'm quite strong in java. I haven't coded in C for the past 4 years but I
> don't mind giving it a try.
> I've haven't done any developement in ubuntu. Nonetheless I'll like to give
> it a shot.
> I really appreciate it if you could help me.
>
> Regards,
> Iain

	Hello,

	the files you'll have to modify are genesys.conf.in, genesys_devices.c,
genesys_gl646.c and genesys_gl646.h . One first thing to do is to add you
scanner model to genesys.conf and genesys_devices.c . For a start I would
simply clone the medion_md5345_model entry into a umax_astra_4100, change the
device description strings and reference it in the genesys_usb_device_list at
the end of the file. Sometimes scanners are simply clones, and I wouldn't be
surprised that the MD5345 is a clone of the 4100.
	Compile and try it. When developping I always test the binaries with a
script like the one appended. Placed in the backend subdir it runs the
scanimage with the compiled version.
	If we are lucky, it may just work. If not, we'll have to study how this
scanner works under windows by recording USB activity using Usbsnoop.

Regards,
	Stef