[sane-devel] Device Selection

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Sun Dec 11 23:42:26 UTC 2011

CACook at quantum-sci.com writes:

> On Thursday, December 08, 2011 11:52:34 AM m. allan noah wrote:
>> skip xsane for a minute. what about scanimage -L
>
> # scanimage -L
> No scanners were identified.
> # sane-find-scanner
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x138a, product=0x0007) at libusb:003:004
>   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
>   # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

Is this your scanner?  Looks like a VFS451 Fingerprint Reader to me[1].
At the very least none of the SANE backends don't mention they support
this device.  Nor do the external backends.

 [1] http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

> On Thursday, December 08, 2011 03:36:59 PM you wrote:
>> Educated guess: your libsane is really libsane-v4l and not libsane-dll.
>
> Don't seem to have a libsane-dll anywhere in /usr.  Do have
> libsane-v4l.la, .so.1, and .so.1.0.22 in /usr/lib32/sane and
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane .
>

>> Other possibility: /usr/lib/sane is in ld.so.conf which it shouldn't.
>
> /etc/ld.so.conf only has:
> include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
>
> ... and /etc/ld.so.conf.d only has files named:
> libc.conf
> x86_64-linux-gnu.conf
> zz_i386-biarch-compat.conf
>
> Both machines are running the most current Debian Testing 64bit.
> Didn't build from source; did a network install.

Using Debian testing amd64 myself.  The Debian packages install the dll
backend as libsane in a place where it will be found without problem.
The ld.so.conf is also fine.

Appears I guessed incorrectly.  Back to square one.

Sorry this didn't help,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962