[sane-devel] Support for CanoScan 9000F and others: splitting pixma_mp150.c into two drivers

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 15:09:11 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I've gotten down to the work of splitting pixma_mp150.c into two sub-drivers.

The major new work in my customized pixma_mp150.c file is:

1) support for 4800dpi scanning for existing supported printers
(MP810, MP960, MP970, MP990 --- MP980 not explicitly supported yet)
2) support for the Canoscan 9000F
3) new interleaving of sub-images for the above.

I propose that the following devices, which all have 4800dpi CCD
capability, be removed from the original sub-driver and supported
(fully) but the new sub-driver:

1) MP810
2) MP960
3) MP970
4) MP980 (no specific work done, assumed similar to MP970 or MP990 and
to be added whenever testing can be carried out)
5) MP990
6) Canoscan 8800F
7) Canoscan 9000F

There are several CIS devices with 4800dpi capability, but these work
fine with the existing sub-driver functionality.

Furthermore, there are new devices from 2010 which I have added
experimentally to my sub-driver which I have been distributing on an
individual basis. The results are not known at this stage, but I
assume that the CIS devices will work perfectly well with the existing
sub-driver. I now added the 2011 devices as well. Of these 2010 and
2011 modes, only the top-range models use CCDs with 4800dpi, and these
should be added to the new sub-driver:

8) MG8100 series
9) MG8200 series

To avoid breaking existing devices I would like to comment them out in
the existing pixma_mp150 sub-driver file, and similarly comment out in
the new sub-driver any devices which should be supported by the
existing sub-driver.

Please let me know any comments, in case they will be helpful for me
to get this task done as soon as possible.
Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug