[sane-devel] MinGW w64 build results

Chris Bagwell chris at cnpbagwell.com
Mon Dec 19 03:56:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> MinGW thread time again.
>
> The MinGW world has been split into two trees. The original mingw.org tree
> and the new w64 tree. Fedora, and other distros, are migrating from
> mingw.org to w64. Sane-backends will compile and run under the w64
> environment with a few caveats.
>
> 1. The DDK includes are not supposed to be directly used.
>   sanei/sanei_scsi.c and tools/sane-find-scanner.c needed the attached
> patches.

I looked at this change but as it is, it breaks compiles on Fedora 16.
 It looks like including the DDK files is the only option there.  Is
there a standard way to check when your on a w64 platform?  I guess we
could move some header file checks to configure to detect were to get
SCSI symbols.

> 2. w64 includes additional Windows API headers, which now include "usb.h"
> and this conflicts with the libusb header of the same name. This prevents
> sane from including USB support as sane looks for libusb and not the Windows
> API. For now I renamed the w64 header and used the libusb header and the
> resulting libsane.dll works with my USB scanner in Windows. I have not
> contacted libusb yet, but I feel they need to move their header into a
> libusb/ sub-dir, but this will of course break lots of apps. Any
> suggestions?

Not really.  I'm sure upstream libusb is the best place to discuss.

As long as libusb project has a suggested work around/file location
for dealing with w64, we can accommodate it as well as standard usb.h
easy enough.

Chris