[sane-devel] HP5590 problems

Ilia Sotnikov hostcc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 12:37:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Paul Schenkeveld
<sane-devel at psconsult.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope this is the right place to post this question, otherwise please
> point me to a better place and accept my apologies for bothering you.

Hi, Paul! No worries - this is the right place.

> I'm trying to use a HP5590 scanner with sane-backends (1.0.21) running
> on FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE (tried 8.1-RELEASE with the same results).

Frankly, didn't test the backend under FreeBSD, hope no dramatical
differences would arise.

> I finally got the scanner to function more or less reliably by using
> saned instead of talking to the scanner directly.

Could you please provide debug output when scanner works well (setting
SANE_DEBUG_HP5590 variable)?

> Only the ADF is not working.  When I execute:
>
>    scanimage -x 210 -y 297 --source ADF > scan.out
>
> the scanner moves the lamp towards the left where the ADF aperture is
> located, it then pulls one sheet from the ADF as if it were scanning
> but scanimage displays:
>
>    scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
>
> and exits leaving scan.out empty.

Well, at least the device accepted the sequence of commands. I suspect
that something is wrong with setting scan area, although didn't face
similar issues.

> Setting SANE_DEBUG_HP5590 to 50 reveals the folowing debugging lines:
>
>    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of hp5590 to 50.
>    [hp5590] SANE backed for HP ScanJet 4500C/4570C/5500C/5550C/5590/7650 1.0.5
>    [hp5590] (c) Ilia Sotnikov <hostcc at gmail.com>
>    [hp5590] sane_hp5590_get_devices, local only: 0
>    [hp5590] Found 0 devices
>    scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
>    [hp5590] sane_hp5590_exit

I suppose this output was produced after the "Invalid argument" error
appeared. Could you please do the same but in a fresh condition (eg.
after the device will be initialized by unpligging the power cord then
re-plugging it)?

--
 Ilia Sotnikov