[sane-devel] LIDE 60. configure scanning prefs?

Ben Green greenb1 at mac.com
Fri Feb 11 20:18:56 UTC 2011

Fair enough Allan, it's not much use just putting out vague questions really ---

So, I have taken apart an old canon lide scanner and removed the light source and the focussing array to expose purely the CIS sensor (a long strip of photosensitive metal). I have affixed this scanning head into the film plane of an old large format camera so that the image that is projected through the lens focusses exactly on the plane of the scanner head.
Basically its a scanner-camera - the scanner reads down the image plane and sees the light of the scene projected through the lens rather than the reflected light of a document on the glass. The problem being that if the scanner tries to calibrate beforehand, it gets confused because there is no light entering the CIS because i've ripped the light out and there's no light-point to calibrate against.

 Now this all worked fine with the prototype i made because I was using the plustec backend (Lide 20 or 30) . i could change these options in the SANE preferences window/file-- however now i'm trying to scan faster and higher res - i realise this new LIDE (60) that i have just got hold of uses this genesys backend ... thus I am now confused  - i'm sure its still possible, i just need to find the way!!

Hopefully this helps clarify somewhat my intentions..

Below is what I got with scanimage -d genesys --help
I tried after this to input "scanimage --help -d DEVICE"  - but I think i may need use the usb codes provided in the preference file?

Let me know what you think??

Thanks for your Help - it's much appreciated

Ben

lisalisa-airport:~ lisalisa$ scanimage --help -d DEVICE
Usage: scanimage [OPTION]...

Start image acquisition on a scanner device and write image data to
standard output.

Parameters are separated by a blank from single-character options (e.g.
-d epson) and by a "=" from multi-character options (e.g. --device-name=epson).
-d, --device-name=DEVICE   use a given scanner device (e.g. hp:/dev/scanner)
    --format=pnm|tiff      file format of output file
-i, --icc-profile=PROFILE  include this ICC profile into TIFF file
-L, --list-devices         show available scanner devices
-f, --formatted-device-list=FORMAT similar to -L, but the FORMAT of the output
                           can be specified: %d (device name), %v (vendor),
                           %m (model), %t (type), %i (index number), and
                           %n (newline)
-b, --batch[=FORMAT]       working in batch mode, FORMAT is `out%d.pnm' or
                           `out%d.tif' by default depending on --format
    --batch-start=#        page number to start naming files with
    --batch-count=#        how many pages to scan in batch mode
    --batch-increment=#    increase page number in filename by #
    --batch-double         increment page number by two, same as
                           --batch-increment=2
    --batch-prompt         ask for pressing a key before scanning a page
    --accept-md5-only      only accept authorization requests using md5
-p, --progress             print progress messages
-n, --dont-scan            only set options, don't actually scan
-T, --test                 test backend thoroughly
-h, --help                 display this help message and exit
-v, --verbose              give even more status messages
-B, --buffer-size=#        change input buffer size (in kB, default 32)
-V, --version              print version information
scanimage: open of device DEVICE failed: Invalid argument
Type ``scanimage --help -d DEVICE'' to get list of all options for DEVICE.

Ben