[sane-devel] LIDE 60. configure scanner - Mac Terminal

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 01:30:28 UTC 2011

wow- you're pretty far down the curve on this one. I'll try to be more explicit.

We are talking about source code. Not conf files (yet). Not compiled
libraries (yet). You don't currently have any source code on your box
unless you have explicitly downloaded it. We are going to download,
modify, and compile that source code into a library. I've never done
any of this on a Mac, so every detail here is suspect. The general
idea is the same.

1. install the libusb-dev package (or libusb-devel, not sure what your
OS calls it)

2. install gcc package and it's required dependencies

3. install the utility 'make' (it might be called gmake on your platform)

4. download latest sane-backends from http://www.sane-project.org/snapshots/
It will be named something like: sane-backends-git20110215.tar.gz

----------use the terminal from here on out--------------------

5. extract the file you just downloaded with this command (correct
filename if different):
tar xzf sane-backends-git20110215.tar.gz
This will create a new directory, named something like:
sane-backends-git20110215

6. Change in this new directory:
cd sane-backends-git20110215

7. edit backend/genesys_devices.c file. I like vim, you can use
whatever editor you want, including some icky gui thing, as long as it
does not try to reformat the text.

8. around line 1573 you will see a section of data for the lide 60.
Near the end of that section, there are a bunch of flags, separated by
the '|' symbol. Remove the lines with 'CALIBRATION' in them, and add
one in their place that says:
'| GENESYS_FLAG_NO_CALIBRATION'

9. save the file.

10. Run the following command (all on one line)
BACKENDS=genesys ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --disable-locking

11. Run the following command (takes awhile)
make

12. copy the file backend/.libs/libsane-genesys.so.1.0.23 over top of
the copy provided by your distro, not sure where it is on a Mac.
Probably in /usr/local/lib?
Note that the file name will change- your current file might end in
.21 or .22, that's fine. We want the new one to have the same name. We
are replacing the old file. You can save the old one before you
overwrite it if you want.

13. test with scanimage or xsane and various options.

Only step #12 needs to be done as root.

allan