[sane-devel] Schedule for release of sane-backends 1.0.22

Nicolas Martin nicolas0martin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 20:18:49 UTC 2011

Thanks Dustin for your feedback.

The issue of memmove vs memcpy appears in the last phase of image
processing, to reduce the scanned line width, in order to get an exact
scanned area width, and get rid of the Pixma modulo 32 line width.

Il this case, the cropped line is copied above the scanned line, that
explains the overlap situation, but the cropped line is always smaller,
so no risk of buffer overflow.

When the width is an exact multiple of 32, the cropped and original
lines are exactly identical.

What is weird here, is that the effect of overlap in memcpy does not
seem to produce the same effect on different systems !
Looks some systems have memcpy to copy correctly above the original
line, but not others.

Anyway, the memmove here handles correctly the overlap situation, so
this issue should be solved now.

Nicolas