[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 8270 / Avision backend / ok but strange issue

Olivier Crouzet olivier.crouzet at univ-nantes.fr
Mon Jan 10 09:08:52 UTC 2011

Dear all, as the list blocks big messages, I send this message again
with only one of the logfiles (debugbig.log) for your
information. The other logs have been sent to Mike's adress and I can
provide them to anyone who would need them.

Olivier.

Dear Mike,

sorry for the delay, the scanner is at work so I had to wait before I
could do the test you asked for.

Here are the results. Attached are several logfiles.

1 - debugsmall.log:
env SANE_DEBUG_AVISION=7 scanimage --resolution=150 2> debugsmall.log
> smallfile.pnm

Scanning color images seems to be fine at least up to 2400 dpi but does
not work starting at 3200 dpi (haven't tried between 2400 and 3200 /
4800).

2 - debugbig.log:
env SANE_DEBUG_AVISION=7 scanimage --resolution=4800 2> debugbig.log
> bigfile.pnm

At this resolution (4800 dpi) but also at 3200 dpi, the scanner does
not work. After scanimage has left, the scanner is not available anymore
and I need to unplug the usb cable to get it back to work so I also
attach a debug file produced during a call to scanimage with the same
command as in 1 without unplugging the USB cable:

3 - debugsmallpostbig.log:
env SANE_DEBUG_AVISION=7 scanimage --resolution=150 2>
debugsmallpostbig.log > smallfilepostbig.pnm

All this has been performed as root. I'll now deal with the advice from
Julien Blache concerning user permissions and udev.

Thanks for the help.
Please let me know if you need more information or complementary tests.

Olivier.

     e-mail:       olivier.crouzet at univ-nantes.fr

  http://www.lling.fr/