[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 8270 / Avision backend / user permissions

Mike Kelly mike at piratehaven.org
Tue Jan 11 11:11:33 UTC 2011

Hi Olivier,

It looks like the sources you are looking at are from the last release.
If you are going through the work of rebuilding your package, get the latest
version from the source repository.

The avision.desc file was in a funky state when I took over maintenance, and
I have since updated it with all of the HP 8200 series models.  The file is
updated automatically, only in so far as Rene had a script which he ran to
do the updating.  That script is not part of the sane source code.  The desc
file comes from the source file, but whereas the desc file benefits from
having all information, the source file only needs entries with unique SCSI
and USB information.  Thus, there are sections which are wrapped by #ifdef to
make the backend faster (by not probing for the same device more than once).

The HP 8200 series, for example, has two types of base hardware, the 8200,
and the 8270.  The difference between the models is that the 8200 has no ADF,
while the 8250 has a 15ppm ADF, and the 8290 has a 25ppm ADF.  The 8270 seems
to be identical to the 8290 in specs, but the USB ids are different, so maybe
the hardware is a newer design.  While I'm on the topic, it seems that the
8300 series, feature wise, shares the same base unit as the 8200, however it
has a much better ADF which supports scanning both sides of the page at the
same time at either 25ppm (8350) or 35ppm (8390).

I'm looking for testers for the 8300 series, if anyone out there has one.

Mike
(:

--------Mike at PirateHaven.org-----------------------The_glass_is_too_big--------