[sane-devel] Epson MFP Stylus DX3850 via Net won't work

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Fri Jan 21 00:32:55 UTC 2011

cool.chris65 at web.de writes:

> Hello,

Hi.

> I've some trouble with my Epson-MFP Stylus DX3850. Local connected it works
> fine in scanner-mode (also as printer ;) ), but connectet to my second
> Fritzbox-Router (modded with Freetz), there is a Problem:
>
> First Try after Box-Start and Epson-Start works fine.
> Second Try (Box allways on, Scanner newly switched on) starts the xsane-
> scanner-choice (I installed both epson-modules on the box), but crashes with
> an error like "Error during I/O..."
> Third Try brings only a box "no device found"

Ok, let me get this straight.  Your using xsane to talk to saned on your
Fritzbox-Router and created the logs on that router, right?  When you
say you installed both epson modules, I assume you mean the epson and
epson2 backends.  Correct?

> Here is the actual log of second and third try:

Weird.  The probe for supported devices (sane_epson2_get_devices) in the
log of your second try completes without a hitch but when the backend
actually tries to use the device (sane_epson2_open) it doesn't even
acknowledge the initialization command (ESC @).  All device I/O up to
that point looks just fine.

> [epson2] sane_epson2_open: name = libusb:001:010
> [epson2] handle obtained
> [epson2] open_scanner: libusb:001:010
> [epson2] scanner opened
> [epson2] esci_reset
> [epson2] e2_cmd_simple: size = 2
> [epson2] e2_send: size = 2, reply = 1
> [epson2] e2_send: ESC @
> [epson2] buf[0] 1b .
> [epson2] buf[1] 40 @
> [epson2] e2_send: cmd count, r = 18, w = 15
> [epson2] e2_txrx: tx err, Error during device I/O
> [epson2] e2_cmd_simple: failed, Error during device I/O
> [epson2] close_scanner: fd = 0

In your the third try, the device doesn't acknowledge the same command
during the probe phase.  Looks like something went wrong while talking
to the device but I have no idea what.  Can you create logs of the USB
traffic?

  root at fritz:/var/mod/root# SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=128 saned -d128

or similar should do the trick.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962