[sane-devel] Troubles with PIXMA MX870 and USB

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 31 19:31:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 12:08 +0100, Stephan Ritscher wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just got a new Canon Pixma MX870, but it doesn't work completely,
> yet.
>
> Let me start with my setup. I run Gentoo with kernel 2.6.36-gentoo-r5
> on an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9300. I use the latest sane-backends
> from GIT and sane-frontends-1.0.14.
>
> I want to run the scanner in two different configurations - via
> wireless network and via usb. I'll start with the wireless setup.
>
> First of all, it recognizes my printer - kind of. My router (EasyBox
> 803) resolves all ip addresses in the local network as "localhost" and
> thereby confuses SANE.
>         # /usr/libexec/cups/backend/bjnp
>         network bjnp://localhost:8611 "Canon MX870 series" "Canon
>         MX870 series localhost"
>         "MFG:Canon;CMD:BJL,BJRaster3,BSCCe,NCCe,IVEC,IVECPLI;SOJ:TXT01,BJNP2;MDL:MX870 series;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Canon MX870 series;VER:1.030;STA:10;FSI:04;HRI:EU;MSI:DAT,E3,HFSF;PDR:4;"
> If I add the line "bjnp://192.168.2.101:8612"
> to /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf, scanimage and other applications recognize
> my scanner and work properly. I attached the log file corresponding to
>         # export SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=3
>         # scanimage -T 2> scan-net.log
This is the second router I have seen that messes up reverse lookup of
ip-adresses. I will put this on my to-do list to work around this. A
solution will take some time and will not be in 1.2.22 as the merge
window for new features has already closed. I will see if I can do the
change in both the sane backend and in cups-bjnp. I have seen a fritzbox
return "noname" when a reverse lookup is done, but this one is
definitely  even more incorrect. Localhost is normally 127.0.0.1....

your work-around is the correct solution for now.
I leave your other issue for Nicolas to answer, as he is the maintainer
of the backend

kind regards, Louis