[sane-devel] unclear error message

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Fri Jul 8 10:12:14 UTC 2011

Jeremy Dawson <jlcaadawson at netspeed.com.au> writes:

> The equipment is EPSON-Stylus-CX5300 (according to the Printing tool),
> but I get
> [jeremy at home2006 ~]$ scanimage -L
> device `epson2:libusb:003:002' is a Epson CX5400 flatbed scanner

For SANE backend purposes these are the same.

> Here is exactly what I did with scanimage:
>
> [jeremy at home2006 ~]$ scanimage >image.pnm
> scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
>
> [jeremy at home2006 ~]$ scanimage -d epson2:libusb:003:002 >image.pnm
> scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument

Not sure whether this is still an issue, but have you tried specifying a
resolution?  The CX5300 should be able to do 100 but check the output of
scanimage -h for the `--resolution` option for details.

There was a time where the default resolution of 300 wasn't checked
against what the device could actually do.

> I can't think of any further relevant details but happy to provide
> them if I know exactly what further details are required

The out.log file that results from

  SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2=255 scanimage > out.pnm 2> out.log

FWIW, Image Scan! for Linux[1] supports this model just fine.  Click the
All-in-Ones icon and use your browser's find functionality (Ctrl+F ?) to
locate the CX5300.

 [1] http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/download/

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962