[sane-devel] [OT?] discussion of front ends?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Jul 13 17:55:46 UTC 2011

Is there a forum in which to discuss SANE front ends and in particular
the best ways to get specific tasks done?

My own particular problem:

I want to do what I think is called "scan to archive".  I have way too
many documents on paper and I'd like to capture them and discard the
paper.  This paper is just half a lifetime's accumulation -- it isn't
a systematic corpus.

I think I want to capture to image files (possibly PDF) but supplement
this with OCRed text to facilitate full-text search.  I need a format
that will still be useful for decades into the future.  I want the
capture process to be as easy as possible -- otherwise I'll never get
it done.

Based on recommendations from allan noah, I've splurged on a Fujitsu
fi-6130.  It works out of the box, with no setup, on my Fedora 15 box.
Bravo!

Now I have to figure out how best to use it.  This page is useful, but
only the barest start:
<http://www.sane-project.org/sane-frontends.html>

So: is there a good forum (or mailing list) where I could share
experiences and advice with others?