[sane-devel] Multiple Scanner Support

Joel Penner featheredtar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 00:44:43 UTC 2011

Thanks. Here I'm using a CanoScan 5600F (the Mac driver of which is kind of
unstable, and the shipped program horribly bloated!,) an Epson Perfection
V33 (a bad scanner!,) and a CanoScan 3200 (which I'm using with VueScan,
it's proven to be very stable.) At home I have another CS 5600F, two CS LiDE
20s, a CS 5000, an Agfa Snapscan e20 and e50, and a really good Epson
scanner, the name of which I forget. I could VNC the computer to find out,
but I'm on my cell phone data connection right now...

The issue of resource hogging isn't common. So far I've only starkly
experienced it with the CS 5600Fs. It's unfortunate that such an amazing
scanner has to have such a shoddy Mac backend/driver. Hopefully the eventual
SANE backend will be better!

Similar to your idea, initially I tried running multiple instances of
VueScan, but because the specific scanners weren't specified to each
instance, they presumably conflicted, causing the different instances
to occasionally crash. How would one give explicit device names to each
copy? I am very comfortable with OS GUIs, but unfortunately have done almost
no programming.

- Joel