[sane-devel] CanoScan LIDE 100

Tobias Stoeber tobi at to-st.de
Mon Jul 18 07:23:30 UTC 2011

Hello again,

Melanie Desaive schrieb:
> I purchased an CanoScan LIDE 100 scanner, the Sane website says it
> works for version 1.0-62 of the genesys backend, but for me scanimage
> does not work.
>
> I am using sane-backends version 1.0.22 and compiled the genesys
> backend.
 >[....]
 > I got the following error message from scanimage -L while debug flag
 > is set:
 >
 > root at tux /etc/sane.d # SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=128 scanimage -L
 > [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of genesys to 128.
 > [genesys] SANE Genesys backend version 1.0 build 13 from sane-backends
 > 1.0.21

As I wrote yesterday, it seems your scanimage still uses Genesys Backend
version 1.0-13 / backend 1.0.21....

 > The manpage of sane-genesys does not list the CanoScan LIDE
> 100 as supported scanner. Is there another version of sane-backends I
> should use?

Well, I am just using a checkout from git, version 1.0.23git:

   git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git

with my Canon LiDE 200 (support added around the same time as your LiDE
100):

~~~
/home/user> SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=128 scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of genesys to 128.
[genesys] SANE Genesys backend version 1.0 build 64 from sane-backends
1.0.23git
[genesys] SANE Genesys backend built with libusb
[genesys] sane_init: authorize != null
[genesys] sane_init: little endian machine
[genesys] probe_genesys_devices: start
[genesys] attach: start: devp != NULL, may_wait = 0
[genesys] attach: trying to open device `libusb:005:002'
[genesys] attach: device `libusb:005:002' successfully opened
[genesys] attach: found Canon flatbed scanner LiDE 200 at libusb:005:002
[genesys] attach: exit
[genesys] probe_genesys_devices: exit
[genesys] sane_init: exit
[genesys] sane_get_devices: start: local_only = false
[genesys] probe_genesys_devices: start
[genesys] attach: start: devp != NULL, may_wait = 0
[genesys] attach: device `libusb:005:002' was already in device list
[genesys] probe_genesys_devices: exit
[genesys] sane_get_devices: exit
device `genesys:libusb:005:002' is a Canon LiDE 200 flatbed scanner
[genesys] sane_exit: start
[genesys] sane_exit: exit
~~~

The manpage also mentions both your and my scanner...

   http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-genesys.5.html

> I would really appreciate some hint, what the problem could be. As I
> already have been reading about people working fine with the LIDE 100
> and SANE, I expect that I am missing a simple point to get the
> scanner working.

One reason could just be, that you are still using the default
installation that came with the OS / linux distro, installed in /usr.

Whereas by default the self-compiled version will go to /usr/local if
you just use ./configure

Maybe just try

    ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

to replace the old version. This works fine for me in Asus Xandros (its
still Debian etch based) and recent Ubuntu versions. Some modifications
(e.g. udev rules) have to made manually, but thats what you also have
done (genesys.conf, hotplug)

Btw, a recent version of genesys.conf is included in the sources as:

    ./sane-backends/backend/genesys.conf.in

Regards, Tobias