[sane-devel] Some testing of HP Scanjet 2400 scanner (genesys backend)

Alexey Osipov simba at lerlan.ru
Fri May 6 04:35:04 UTC 2011

Hi, dear developers of SANE!

I have `HP Scanjet 2400` scanner. Serial NO: CN648SR2H7. Regulatory
Model: GRLYB-0209.

$ sane-find-scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0a01 [hp scanjet scanner], chip=GL646_HP) at libusb:004:002

I have made some tests of my scanner under brand new Ubuntu 11.04, which
seems to have latest version of sane-backends (1.0.22).

I was using `scanimage` program to do tests like this:

$ scanimage --mode <mode> --resolution <resolution>  > ~/Desktop/image.pnm

where <mode> and <resolution> varies in ranges:
<mode>: Color, Gray, Lineart
<resolution>: 50, 100, 150, 300, 600, 1200

Results are:

50dpi:
output is garbage in all modes (color example: image50.tiff)

100 dpi:
all modes works good (color example: image100_c.tiff)

150dpi:
all modes: result image squashed vertically, scan head run beyond
allowed scan borders with awful sounds, then surprisingly correctly
returns back. (color result example: image150.tiff)

300 dpi:
all modes works good (examples: image300_c.tiff, image300_g.tiff,
image300_la.tiff)

600 dpi:
`Color` mode: scanner hangups after few movements. Note that first
couple of this movements are happens with 'correct' sound and the
second couple - with slightly different sound, which seems to me not
quite 'correct' (it's like screwing something). But this is definitely
NOT the sound when head moves beyond allowed borders, that's different.
If in this 'hangup' situation I hit "ctrl+c", the head correctly moves
in it's parking position and I can do other scans in other modes just
fine.
`Gray` and `Lineart` modes: They don't hang, scanner head goes through
all area and then correctly returns back. But the result isn't correct -
there are two images squashed horizontally (see examples:
image600_g.tiff, image600_la.tiff).

1200dpi:
In all modes scanner just hangups, with no movements and sounds.
"ctrl+c" not working, next scans failed with "No SANE devices found"
until scanner reconnect.

In 100 and 300 dpi modes, if I hit "ctrl+c" during scanning, scanner
stops and then hangup. After some time scanimage exits with error
message like "Error while scanner I/O". Next scan attempts failed with
message "No SANE devices found" until scanner reconnect.

`--preview=yes` switch doesn't change anything in all modes and
resolutions.

All examples archived here:
http://lion-simba.github.com/scanjet2400_samples.7z

I hope this info helps you guys finish support of this scanner and
remove "Untested" mark from it. :)

If you need some additional feedback, feel free to ask me. I'm a
programmer so I have enough skills to apply patches, compiling, etc.

Best regards,
Alexey Osipov.

PS. I think it's not quite good to require mail-list subscription prior
to allow posting messages to it. ESPECIALLY in the list, to which users
supposed to post feedback. Note the output of scanimage:

$ scanimage

[genesys] WARNING: Your scanner is not fully supported or at least
[genesys]          had only limited testing. Please be careful and
[genesys]          report any failure/success to
[genesys]          sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org. Please provide as many
[genesys]          details as possible, e.g. the exact name of your
[genesys]          scanner and what does (not) work.