[sane-devel] TPU functionality in epson2-backend.

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Sun Nov 20 23:56:08 UTC 2011

Martin Zackrisson <martin.zackrisson at cmb.gu.se> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've got an Epson Perfection V700 Photo with a TPU. When selecting the
> TPU as source in SANE, the allowed scan area shrinks compared to
> "regular" scanning.
>
> scanimage: rounded value of br-x from 215.9 to 149.86
> scanimage: rounded value of br-y from 297.18 to 246.38

The product spec that I have here has 149mm x 247mm for the TPU scan
area.  For the flatbed it has 216mm x 297mm.  Looks like those values
are just fine.

> I know this behaviour from TWAIN  where in my python application
> self.SD.SetCapability(32829, 4, 1) resolves the issue and gives back
> full scanning area while still using the TPU. Syntax for the command
> is simply to set capability 32829 to 1 (probably instead of being
> 0). As far as I can see this is not a documented capability in TWAIN.

No clue what capability 32829 is, but the scanner protocol command that
selects whether you use the flatbed or TPU option uses the same values.
That is, 0 will do a flatbed scan, 1 a TPU scan.

> I'm not versed in c++, so I wonder if such a capability could be
> included in SANE?

It could, but I seriously doubt it should as it would drive the scanner
outside of its spec.

> (On the side, If anybody had a clue as to how one could force the
> scanner-lamp to be turned off without waiting the 15 minutes that is
> the standard time-out)

Sorry can't help with this.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962