[sane-devel] waiting for latest driver for HP2400c on Linux -- Else I need to restore the Elcot driver to working order

Bertie Coopersmith bertie at coopersmith.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 15:57:39 UTC 2011

My computer is a Dell laptop running Ubuntu Linux.
My scanner, HP Scanjet 2400 stopped working about a month or two ago.
I think the cause was that the Ubuntu (Gnome) Update Manager had
updated the SANE libraries.

 The driver files I had been using up until then were downloaded
 from www.elcot.in, a web page maintained by Government of the Indian
 state of TamilNadir where they had many HP2400 scanners on their
 Linux Suse system. It was configured by means of the entry
hp2400 in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.

The new SANE-developed drivers will be invoked if the entry for
the HP Scanjet 2400 is the line
usb 0x03f0 0x0a01
in the file /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf

I am assuming that I can retain the files for both drivers in
/usr/lib/sane
and merely comment out the entry in /etc/sane.d for the one I
don't use.

It seems that the SANE (genesys) driver still has a bug which will be
corrected in the next release. Meanwhile, I have tried to revert to
the Elcot (hp2400) driver. However, I cannot get it to work any longer
even though its been ok for about 2 years.

the output of lsusb includes the line
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 03f0:0a01 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 2400c

and the output of sane-find-scanner includes:

set found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0a01
[hp scanjet scanner], chip=GL646_HP) at libusb:005:004 # Your USB
scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by #
SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

despite my resetting to the Elcot driver in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
- and the genesys one commented out -this is the output I now get from
scanimage -L:

I thought that the problem may have been failure to link to my .so
files. This is the output I get from ldd /usr/bin/scanimage:

linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0x00621000)
libsane.so.1 => /usr/lib/sane/libsane.so.1 (0x00c7a000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (s0x00f71000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/li
bdl.so.2 (0x00264000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0x00390000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0x00c26000)
libusb-0.1.so.4 => /lib/libusb-0.1.so.4 (0x0094c000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00d0e000)

The Elcot name for their driver is hp2400.
This is part of the output from locate hp2400:

/usr/lib/sane/libsane-hp2400.la
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-hp2400.so
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-hp2400.so.1
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-hp2400.so.1.0.18

You may well not be able to explain my problem with the Elcot driver
but I would be pleased to learn when the working genesys driver
will become available.

Bertie Coopersmith.