[sane-devel] waiting for latest driver for HP2400c on Linux -- Else I need to restore the Elcot driver to working order

stef stef.dev at free.fr
Wed Oct 12 16:35:08 UTC 2011

Le mercredi 12 octobre 2011 17:57:39 Bertie Coopersmith, vous avez écrit :
> My computer is a Dell laptop running Ubuntu Linux.
> My scanner, HP Scanjet 2400 stopped working about a month or two ago.
> I think the cause was that the Ubuntu (Gnome) Update Manager had
> updated the SANE libraries.
>
>  The driver files I had been using up until then were downloaded
>  from www.elcot.in, a web page maintained by Government of the Indian
>  state of TamilNadir where they had many HP2400 scanners on their
>  Linux Suse system. It was configured by means of the entry
> hp2400 in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.
>
> The new SANE-developed drivers will be invoked if the entry for
> the HP Scanjet 2400 is the line
> usb 0x03f0 0x0a01
> in the file /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf
>
> I am assuming that I can retain the files for both drivers in
> /usr/lib/sane
> and merely comment out the entry in /etc/sane.d for the one I
> don't use.
>
> It seems that the SANE (genesys) driver still has a bug which will be
> corrected in the next release. Meanwhile, I have tried to revert to
> the Elcot (hp2400) driver. However, I cannot get it to work any longer
> even though its been ok for about 2 years.
>
> the output of lsusb includes the line
> Bus 005 Device 004: ID 03f0:0a01 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 2400c
>
> and the output of sane-find-scanner includes:
>
> set found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0x0a01
> [hp scanjet scanner], chip=GL646_HP) at libusb:005:004 # Your USB
> scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by #
> SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
>
> despite my resetting to the Elcot driver in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
> - and the genesys one commented out -this is the output I now get from
> scanimage -L:
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>

> I thought that the problem may have been failure to link to my .so
> files. This is the output I get from ldd /usr/bin/scanimage:
>
> linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0x00621000)
> libsane.so.1 => /usr/lib/sane/libsane.so.1 (0x00c7a000)
> libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (s0x00f71000)
> libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/li
> bdl.so.2 (0x00264000)
> libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0x00390000)
> libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0x00c26000)
> libusb-0.1.so.4 => /lib/libusb-0.1.so.4 (0x0094c000)
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00d0e000)
>
> The Elcot name for their driver is hp2400.
> This is part of the output from locate hp2400:
>
> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-hp2400.la
> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-hp2400.so
> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-hp2400.so.1
> /usr/lib/sane/libsane-hp2400.so.1.0.18
>
> You may well not be able to explain my problem with the Elcot driver
> but I would be pleased to learn when the working genesys driver
> [...]
	Hello,

	the working version is available as source code. There are ubuntu PPA
that provide packages for it. The 2 first hits at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?name_filter=sane seem rather promising for
you.
	In case you have still troubles having your scanner with these packages,
please send the debug.log file generated by:
export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS=255
export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_LOW=255
export SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS_GL646=255
scanimage -d genesys >scan.pnm 2>debug.log

Regards,
	Stef