[sane-devel] scanimage problem

Bertie Coopersmith bertie at coopersmith.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 15:05:48 UTC 2011

For some years I had been using my HP Scanjet 2400 with the Elcot
driver which is configured by the entry hp2400 in dll.conf

Then sometime in, I think, June 2011 as part of a regularly
occurring automatic update of my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS system
this driver was replaced as part of the SANE development.

The new driver is configured by an hp2400 entry in genesys.conf.

It is is still under development by Alexey Osipov. It was
initially able to produce a greyscale image of a colour document
but now it fails to work at all.

'scanimage -L' fails with  Segmentation Fault

If I go back to the Elcot driver
then 'scanimage -L' outputs:

scanimage: symbol lookup
error: /usr/lib/sane/libsane-hp2400.so.1: undefined symbol: sanei_usb_init

Should I buy a modern scanner which the SANE Web page asserts does
work and attempt to install it or shall I continue to try, with your
help, to get this hp2400 model to work?  --- Even to get it to be
consistently recognized by 'lsusb' can be a struggle.

Please help,
Bertie Coopersmith.