[sane-devel] first trial of genesys driver for hp2400c

Bertie Coopersmith bertie at coopersmith.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 23:13:49 UTC 2011

This is the output I have just obtained from my HP Scanjet 2400 on
a usb port of my Dell Inspiron running Ubuntu:-

~# scanimage -L
device `genesys:libusb:005:005' is a Hewlett Packard ScanJet 2400c flatbed scanner
root at ubuntu:~# scanimage > xxx.pnp
[genesys] WARNING: Your scanner is not fully supported or at least
[genesys]          had only limited testing. Please be careful and
[genesys]          report any failure/success to
[genesys]          sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org. Please provide as many
[genesys]          details as possible, e.g. the exact name of your
[genesys]          scanner and what does (not) work.
scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument
root at ubuntu:~#

Until yesterday I have been using my hp scanjet 2400 with drivers
downloaded from www.elcot.in (Probably conversions of Windows
.dll files.

Then yesterday I had a struggle to get 'scanimage -L' to report
that it had found a scanner. I guessed that SANE drivers had been
provided from the Ubuntu repository via Update Manager.

After rebooting and confirming  with 'lsusb' that the scanner was
being recognized as a usb device  I finally got some output from
'scanimage -L'. However, it reported two drivers on the same usb
port. This confirmed my hunch. Anyway I performed a
successful test scan.

Today I did some 'ls -l' commands in /usr/lib/sane  which
showed that the .so files from genesys were recent (and
'ls -lut' showed that they had been accessed yesterday)
so I removed the Indian .so files. After that I'm always
getting the output shown at the top. -- Even after I re-installed
the drivers from India. - So now I should have both drivers but
the indian ones were must recently installed (although their
modification times are again old as to be expected from the .tgz
extraction. The file etc/saned/dll.conf still has the entry 'hp2400'
which is required by the Indian drivers).

Please help.
Bertie Coopersmith.