[sane-devel] Could blacklisting USB devices make sense?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Apr 19 14:27:53 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Apr 19 10:11 m. allan noah wrote (excerpt):
> This in interesting. If you have the user compile a simple test
> program which just calls the 3 libusb functions, does his mouse stop?
> If so, there is nothing that can be done in sane.

Yes, as I wrote in my initial mail, if this is the case,
blacklisting in SANE cannot help in this particular case.

For me this particular issue was only a trigger to think about
whether or not blacklisting devices could make sense at all
to be prepared to avoid other problematic cases.

For example:

Assume there are several USB devices connected
with USB device class 255 "Vendor Specific Class"
but only one of them is a scanner.

As far as I understand the check_libusb_device function
in tools/sane-find-scanner.c it runs check_usb_chip
for all USB devices with class 255.

Assume some particular USB devices with class 255
(which are no scanners) do not like what check_usb_chip does.

Then it should help in this case if USB devices could be
blacklisted in SANE so that sane-find-scanner would not
run check_usb_chip on them.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner