[sane-devel] LiDE700F development - Snoopy Log

Brian Paavo paavo at benthicscience.com
Fri Apr 27 22:30:10 UTC 2012

G'day SANE folks,

I'm nearly finished with the 2nd version of an underwater environmental
monitoring device which has grown out of my PhD research.  I built a
previous version using Windows, but found proprietary problems
interfered with field use and custom user (student) development.   In
cooperation with my makerspace friends (project info
http://dspace.org.nz/2012/04/14/sediment-profile-imaging-spi-scan-project/)
we are making the electronic systems (Arduino based) and software open
to reciprocate the benefits we've received from the open-source
community.  The system relies on a modified flatbed scanner
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sediment_Profile_Imagery).  Our new system
is based on the Canoscan LiDE700F for a bunch of mechanical reasons and
we desperately need a driver to operate it from a Raspberry Pi
(typically a Fedora distro, but others possible).

I've used SnoopyPro 0.22 to log the USB packets while restarting the
device, previewing the platen, scanning in colour of a 216.0x280.4 mm
area, then a grey-scale scan.   I'll put it in the SANEDriverDevelopment
folder of our github repo, (DspaceSPI/SPIScan.git)

This is primarily a research programme, but there is some market (still
open though) potential if I can provide and incentives to a
driver-developers.  Can you help me locate interested people?  I"m happy
to put in whatever grunt work I can, but driver development is new to me.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Paavo, PhD
Benthic Science Limited