[sane-devel] Scanning negatives effectively

Simon Lindgren simon.n.lindgren at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 22:52:59 UTC 2012

Hi list, scanning newbie here :)

I'll start by naming my scanner in case it's important: It's a CanoScan
8800F, which has a film guide for up to 12 35mm frames.

I've begun a project of scanning a bunch of negatives (= in the order of
thousands of photos ;)) and I'd like a way to easily scan the negatives
into separate files for each frame.

XSane seems like it should be capable of doing that using its batch
mode, but I can't figure out how to use that as the preview dialog is
broken on Fedora 17 (it doesn't render the ui, only the preview area
itself). I'm not sure if this is a known issue or not.

Based on what I've read, I should be able to make a batch list and then
use that repeatedly to avoid selecting images again and again. I don't
_think_ the offsets of the frames will vary much.

Any known good approaches for scanning negatives into multiple files? Or
any general advice on scanning film?

Second question: Is tweaking the colors of the images at scan-time
important? I expect to have to tweak them a bit, but I'd like to do that
later and if possible I'd like to avoid spending time adjusting the
color settings for each scan. Can I do this without losing lots of image
quality?

--
Simon Lindgren