[sane-devel] Canon Mx 700 - Scanbuttons

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Sat Aug 11 18:22:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 12:13 +0200, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 07:46 +0200, Nelson wrote:
> > > Hey mailing list,
> >
> > > how can I use the scan buttons of the mx700 with lan connection?  If
> > > I work on usb pursuing all the best.  Even the buttons.  When I run
> > > the printer / scanner on lan work the buttons not to scan.
> > >
> > > greets
> > > candyman
> >

> Hi,
> Right now you can't. I wrote the network layer for the pixma backend,
> and at the time could not figure out the button stuff. It is the only
> part of the network stuff that does NOT work.
>
> And as nobody ever asked, I never got around to look into that anymore.
> I will put it on my TODO list to look into it again when I can find some
> time
hello Nelson/ list,
I finally managed to find some time to work on the bjnp button scan
support for the pixma backend. I got it working, although I am not
really sure that it does not contain faults in some corner cases. As we
are pretty close to the 1.0.23 release of sane, I will not yet commit
the changes to git. It took me quite a while to figure out how the
protocol works, so it has taken quite some time before I got something
working.

Please let me know if you are in a hurry to test before the 1.0.23
release is done. If so, I can mail you a patch to apply on top of the
current git. I have only tested this with xsane, as I did not have time
to setup scanbd, sorry. It anyhow looks as if sane and printing (bjnp
backend for cups) can access the device at the same time: I could print
a page while xsane was waiting for a button to be pressed. When the
printjob was done, I was able to press the scan button again.

Louis
P.s. I will push my changes to git as soon as 1.0.23 is released