[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1650 Photo Scanner

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Wed Aug 29 23:44:21 UTC 2012

Sorry for the belated follow-up.  Just clearing my backlog on the
mailing list now.

Tom Hunter <tom at twohunters.com> writes:

> I am trying to get my scanner back operational on Ubuntu.  I had to move
> it back to an XP system to continue using it after an upgrade. The
> upgrade was from 10.04 (it may have been 10.10) to 11.xx and later (yes
> its been a while, I have posted on the Ubuntu list on this with some
> response but no success).

You are aware that 12.04 is out and is a Long Term Support (LTS)
version, unlike 11.xx.

> The scanner is a flatbed identified on the
> label as an Epson Perfection 1650 Photo Scanner Model G850A.  Neither
> XSANE or Simple Scan will operate it.  Both give a similar error ...
> Simple Scan accesses the scanner, moves the scan bar, gives no image,
> and stops.  You can do this any number of times.  Xsane (0.998) opening
> screen identifies the scanner as an Epson GT-8200 and provides this
> info  [epson2:libusb:005:002]. When doing acquire preview runs the scan
> bar across the glass, produces no image, and puts up an information
> dialog box saying "Operation was cancelled" with a close button.

Sounds like an issue with the epson2 backend.

> What I am hoping is that someone will send a link or few on how to
> trouble shoot this problem. I am willing to test or try just about
> anything.  Alternatively can someone recommend a well supported scanner
> that works with GIMP, LibreOffice, etc. that doesn't break the bank?

I suggest you give the epkowa backend from Image Scan! for Linux a try.
Debian/Ubuntu packages are available from:

  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962