[sane-devel] Canon Pixma MX435 Detection

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 03:35:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 4:06 AM, Nicholas Elliott <nick at nick-elliott.net> wrote:

Hello Nicholas,

> I've installed xsane and the latest sane-backends:
> scanimage -V
> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.22
>
> sane-find-scanner finds the scanner:
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x175b [MX430 series]) at
> libusb:001:002
>
> scanimage -L does not find the scanner
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

Does the scanner get detected (and can you scan) if it is connected
not by wireless, but via a physical USB cable?

> [...]
> [pixma] eth0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
> [pixma] lo is not a valid IPv4 interface, skipping...
> [pixma] eth0 is not a valid IPv4 interface, skipping...
> [pixma] lo is not a valid IPv4 interface, skipping...
> [pixma] eth0 is not a valid IPv4 interface, skipping...
> [pixma] eth1 is not a valid IPv4 interface, skipping...
> [pixma] lo is not a valid IPv4 interface, skipping...
> [pixma] eth0 is IPv4 capable, sending broadcast..
> [pixma] lo is not a valid IPv4 interface, skipping...
> [pixma] eth0 is not a valid IPv4 interface, skipping...
> [pixma] scanner discovery finished...
> [pixma] pixma_find_scanners() found 0 devices
>
> So, did it actually find my wireless network scanner and, if so, why does it
> tell me that no devices were found?
>
> Is there something else I need to do or that you would like me to try?
>
> FYI Wireless scanning with Canon ScanGearMP works.

I would first try USB cable connection and see if the scanner can be
properly initialized by the driver (the SANE pixma backend), and
whether the capabilities (up to max resolution) are all supported. If
not, we should work on the driver code a bit more.
If the driver is shown to be working, capability-wise, then debugging
the wireless connection would be a separate task.

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug